Thursday, July 24, 2014

Rope Swings and Awesomeness


If there's one thing I love, it's my husband. If there's two, the next is sunshine. That's a lie, my family beats out sunshine. However, somewhere near the top of that list is rope swings. 
 
The mister and I went up to a family gathering at a cabin in the canyon for lunch. At some point, we snuck away to swing on the rope swing at the cabin next door. Don't be fooled, the pictures are not an accurate reflection of who swung most (or at all); I, too, did my fair share of swinging. 

And, I LOVED it. This love probably stems from a rope swing at a family friend's lake growing up--where you'd swing off the rope and into the lake; it was huge. I loved it. There's something so thrilling about getting up the courage to take that last step/jump before, boom--you're flying through the air and it is much funner than you remember it being the time before, and so much less scary than it seemed at the moment you were considering not jumping. 

If we'd like to get deep here, (and, trust me, you can skip this little paragraph if you'd rather not; I'll never know. Unless you tell me, which might be slightly funny. So, don't hesitate to do so) we can draw many comparisons to taking leaps of faith in life. Most of the best decisions take leaps of faith--but, the happiness we receive thereafter is far beyond the feelings of regret or bummed-out-edness we get from stepping away from the rope swing and climbing back down.

Dating, starting a new job, going on a trip/adventure, traveling, marriage, starting a family. . . (Oops! Sorry deep paragraph skippers, this just made it to two paragraphs. Jokes on you!) 
It's all big changes, but--really, really exciting and wonderful. Granted, we have to weigh the options--use our brains (or, not go first, if it's an actual rope swing ;) 
But, life is exciting--isn't it? We're meant to jump. Live a little. 

And that, my friends, is the symbolism I never thought about and has nothing to do with my actual love of rope swings. But, food for thought, nonetheless. 

Photo Transition Alert.
That means I gave no official written transition, but am changing topics--in case you were wondering. 

This, my friends, is our big butt TV. We're rather fond of it. I could tell you that the box he is carrying is much bigger than the actual TV, and that the delivery man didn't, in fact, look half this strained when carrying it into the house...but, that would ruin all the fun, wouldn't it? 

It really would. 

Anyways...remember that one time I married a movie fanatic? And that time I married someone who spends money on nice things, rather than skimping on everything and just living on handydowns/thrift store buys? 

I not-so-secretly totally love it :)
What a hunk! 
Oh, and don't worry. I helped with set up too. What, with all of my technical and mechanical savvyness, I told Matthew that I would take the lead on the very important, delicate task of putting the batteries in the remote. 

I executed this task with such flawless precision...such SKILL, and SUCH exactness, that I even did it again for our blu ray player. 

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, you are such a fun writer--I laughed out loud several times! Oh, and rope swings are also one of my favorite things. Spencer and I really miss playing Ultimate with you guys!

    ReplyDelete