Sunday, July 12, 2015

Happy Baby

Alright, this post will be mostly words, rather than photos. We'll see how vivid of pictures I can paint you using only my words, since the storyline rarely involves taking pictures.

Most babies get fussy when they're tired. They rub their eyes, they cry, they might want to snuggle or be held. I just put Anthon down for a nap and felt sharing this experience will give a more accurate depiction of our little man's sleep process (and personality) than just about anything else. Wish me luck. Here goes...
I'm a little fuzzy on the exact times...but I estimated. . .

1:30
Anthon's talking noises sound slightly less happy and a little agitated. I know it's about time for him to go down for a nap, so I take him into the bedroom to feed him. I feed him, but he is still bright eyed and wanting to crawl around. I let him crawl on the ground and just lay next to him as he does. He crawls to the bookcase (one of his favorite forms of entertainment), and grabs a few books out of it. I lay him on his back and read to him after giving him his pacifier and blankie.

1:40
Anthon looses interest in being read to, and army crawls with a board book in hand toward his closed bedroom door. I think to myself, alright--I guess he's got some more play time in him. I put his bink and his blanket back into his crib and come out to the front room with him.

1:45
I read to Anthon in my lap on the couch (while he plays with some toy keys to keep his hands busy). Meanwhile, Matthew grabs himself some food in the kitchen. I read Anthon 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see?' once and 'Hop on Pop' twice. During the second reading of 'Hop on Pop,' Anthon stares at Matthew the entire time, not breaking eye contact. I couldn't actually see where he was looking, but Matthew mentions it and we see it as a sleepy sign and I decide to try putting him down again.

2:05
I take Anthon back to his bedroom, get his bink and blanket, read him some of 'Goodnight Moon', top off his tummy tank, and sing him a song. At this point, Anthon is rubbing his eyes and seems really tired. His eyes are a little red and definitely not as wide as usual. I think to myself, "yay! victory!" As I put him in his crib and pull his blanket up to his chin before walking away.

2:15-2:35
I turn the baby monitor on in the kitchen and proceed to do the dishes and make some brownies.

I can hear him rolling around in his crib.

What starts off as little rustling noises of Anthon rolling around, turns into a monologue of baby noises. ('Bah, bah. Dah, dah. bah-doo-bah-duh. Buh, buh buh...')

I hear banging. From experience, I know this is Anthon kicking his feet against the sides of his crib after pulling his bumper down either with his feet or hands. Sometimes, he'll kick the attachment piece to his mobile and get himself some music going.

2:40
The banging lessens (though sometimes this isn't the case). His happy, talkative noises, become intermittent with a few fussier noises. Not crying, but every once in awhile he'll slip in an agitated sound or a someone feigned outcry.

At this point, I think to myself, 'Okay, maybe he needs a diaper change'

2:45
I go into his room. I enter to see a baby on his tummy, face up towards me. He gets a huge smile on his face. He makes a few excited, 'so happy mom is here!' noises.  I see he's managed to toss his bink on the floor.(Often, he's still got his bink, but it just dangles from a wide open grin at my entrance..)  His eyes still look tired.

He then straightens his arms and rocks back and forth excitedly as he looks at me with a big grin on his face and his blanket under his arms.

I put in his bink, put his blanket on my shoulder, and pick him up to see if I can help him settle down. He rubs his face into his blanket and lays his head on my shoulder.

'Okay, self, I know he's tired....'

He pushes his arms against me to put some distance between us so he can get a better look at my face.

He smiles, only half hanging on to the bink in his mouth as he makes another happy noise.

His eyes still look a little red, puffy, and tired.

He starts to bounce his legs up and down, laughing as he does so. 'Mom, this is SUCH a party!'

I give him a little smile and his excitement increases as he laughs.

He starts to bounce again and I figure this approach might not be the best way to get him to sleep right now.

I think, 'okay, let's check that diaper and see if that's what was keeping him up'

No poop.

Pretty much dry.

Okay...we'll give you a fresh diaper just in case.

I change his diaper. He giggles everytime I look up from the diaper changing to his face.

I put on his pants. He giggles as I touch his stomach.

Okay. I'm not strong enough. I start to tickle him.

He cracks up. A new kind of belly laugh I actually haven't every heard before.

It kills me.

I tickle him again.

Why is this SO much fun??!

He cracks up, yet again.

Okay, okay self...I need to let him sleep. He still looks tired.

I move from tickling to silly facial expressions.

That's more helpful, right? Or...at least, less unhelpful...

I look around the room, while standing next to his crib, pretending not to notice him, and then make my eyes really big when I finally look at him.

He looses it again.

This continues for a few rounds.

2:55
Okay. I know he's tired.

I put him on his back, (he's still got his bink), pull up his blanket yet again, adjust the bumpers he's pulled down around his crib, and walk out.

3:00
No more noises. . . .

I can only assume he's asleep.
Don't think for a second a walked in right at three to take this picture...
I did, however, sneak later, after I was REALLY sure he was asleep. (And after I decided that this post did, in fact, need a picture...)

No comments:

Post a Comment