Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Magical Moments

You know, there are some days when you have moments that just make you sit back and say, 'wow, I am so lucky'.
I've had a few of those moments today.
 
One of them was this morning, when I got up with Matthew to see him off to work. I typically get up with him and make him oatmeal in the mornings and a pack lunch. Today, he was running a little late, but, as he often does, as he opened the front door to leave, he gave me a big squeeze and a kiss.
 
Then he said 'Bye! I just love you!', in his very excited, happy Matthew kind of way.
 
Then...he kissed me again.
Said bye,
and gave me another squeeze.
 
This process repeated itself about three times until he finally said, 'Okay, I need to save on our heating bill. Got to close this door! Ooo, I just love ya!'
 
I then closed the door behind him, with a smile on my face, and walked to the window to wave at him as he walked away.
 
As he walks, Matthew does a variety of things, depending on the day and his mood. Among these things are: a wave, blowing a kiss, jumping up in the air as he makes a face, flashing the 'I love you' sign with his hand, a bending of both his legs--while lifting his arms in a running motion, and shaking his butt at me... Really, any myriad of things.
 
Today, I think it was a booty shake.
Then a wave.
 
After he gets to his car, he usually waves again as he gets in.
 
After he starts the car, before he pulls away,
he usually flashes his lights at me and waves goodbye and/or an 'I love you' sign.
 
Depending on how dark it is, this is sometimes accompanied by turning on the lights inside the car and waving at me, flashing an 'I love you' sign, or blowing a smooch.
 
As I did today, I often walk away from our kitchen window with a smile on my face, thinking, 'Gosh dang, I have the funnest husband.'
 
Don't get me wrong, there are also days where I think to myself, 'okay, babe. Go already!' Or, 'Oooooookkkaayyy.....there's the last wave....and RUN and hop back into bed. Hoorayyy!'
 
But, most days, I just have to smile and think to myself how fun my life is with my peppy, early-to-work husband. Really, with a husband who leaves the house like that every day, how could I NOT get up with him? It is just the funnest start to the day and I treasure those videos saved in my brain of him doing all those crazy things as he walks away. 
 
 
 
Another magical moment is when Matthew gets home from work, which is often while I'm feeding Anthon in his highchair. Matthew usually stops in the window to make a face at Anthon until he realizes he's there. Little man gets the biggest grin and then looks to me to share in the excitement.
 
Anddd...another is just minutes later, after Matthew's gotten changed and we take turns holding Anthon and chasing each other around the house with him as we switch off hiding and chasing as Anthon laughs and kicks his little legs and arms in excitement.  
The moral of this post is this:
There are so many little moments in life that make me glad I'm alive. And SO glad I've made the decisions I've made to get me here. Are there things I'd do differently if I could go back? Absolutely. There are people I've offended, boys I didn't text/call back rather than being up front with, weddings I would have traveled to, trips I would have taken, time I would have spent differently...

But, at the end of the day, I have to be so grateful for where I'm at. SO grateful for a little boy who loves to body slam me in the mornings in his room, all while giggling uncontrollably. Grateful for a husband who takes the time to put up garland in our house for the Christmas season and stands on a chair for ten minutes while I ask him to straighten out random branches that I think look catty-whompus. Grateful for siblings I can call any day and exchange stories about life with. Grateful for roommates and memories that have shaped who I've become. Grateful for an apartment that makes me feel at home. Grateful for knowledge of the purpose of life and that what I take with me is my family. Grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Grateful for repentance, for change.

Grateful for life.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a Thanksgiving post. I must say how grateful I am to have a daughter who loves her life so much and is truly happy with everything in it. Blessings all around. You and Matthew, what a perfect pair. Anthon is so cute I don't know how you keep from snuggling and kissing him 24/7.

    ReplyDelete